Anne C. Stradling Family Collection

*Painting: Col. Archibald Rogers by Eastman Johnson
Collection ID: 1990.01.2114

Anne C. Stradling Family Collection

*Collection of Stradling Family artifacts including a canon ball from the Brig Nelson.

Anne C. Stradling Family Collection

*Collection of Stradling Family Fox Hunting gear.

Anne Caroline Schley (Stradling) was born on March 1, 1913 in New York City to parents Kenneth Schley and Ellen Rogers. She was born into wealth, prominence, and horses. All those around her rode horses, enjoyed fox hunting, and participated in prestigious horse shows. Her father was one of the founders of the Essex Fox Hunt in New York State. You could say she was brought up on horseback.

Anne’s paternal grandparents, Elizabeth and Grant Schley, had a family estate in Far Hills, New Jersey. Her father was involved in banking, the brokerage house Moore and Schley, the American Tobacco Company, and the Underwood Typewriter Company. The Schley home was called Froh-Heim (German for “happy home”) and was a quarter mile around. Their home was filled with antique and country furniture, objects d’art, and collections of copper, brass, and pewter. One room housed a full size Native American teepee, which was filled with Native American artifacts.

Her maternal grandparents, Colonel Archibald and Anne Caroline Rogers, owned a large estate in Hyde Park, New York, called Crumwold Hall. The Rogers were neighbors of Teddy Roosevelt and also knew Frederic Remington. The Rogers’ family earned their fortune from the Rogers Locomotive Foundry in Patterson, New Jersey, which developed some of the early steam locomotives. Archibald was an ardent hunter and fisherman. He was also partners with a cousin in a stock ranch in Wind River, Wyoming.

Stradling’s parents lived in Far Hills, New Jersey near the Schleys. Their estate was named Kenellyn, a combination of their first names, Kenneth and Ellen. They were horse lovers and the 2,000-acre estate had a large home and stables. They also owned a ranch in Fort Garland, Colorado named Trinchera. Many summers were spent at this ranch, and Anne learned to rope and ride western while there.

Stradling began her extensive collection at age six when she nailed up a bit and a broken stirrup in an empty box stall in the barn. She continued collecting all through her youth and took her collection with her throughout her travels and marriages. In 1957, Stradling received a train carload of family heirlooms from her parents’ and grandparents’ homes, many of which you see on display in the Stradling Hall. These things, along with other collected artifacts from the East and the West were the start of her lifelong dream, a Museum of the Horse. In 1989, Anne became ill and began to look for a new home for her collection and contacted R.D. and Joan Dale Hubbard, the, then, owners of the Ruidoso Downs Racetrack. She offered her collection to them on the condition that a suitable building was built near the racetrack. The Hubbards accepted her offer and the Museum of the Horse was created. The Hubbards gave the museum to the City of Ruidoso Downs in 2005 and the name was changed to the Hubbard Museum of the American West.